Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

ECM Module?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Module?

I purchased an ECM Module from RockAuto for my 97 Ford F150. I followed the instructions to the letter. It was my understanding that if you used the numbers off of the old one you wouldn't have to have it programmed. The truck won't run. Mechanic said it has to be programmed. Who is correct me or the mechanic? Someone PLEASE help me out and answer this very important question.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 AM
Smarter than most Racoons

Received 1,309 Likes on 857 Posts

You don't indicate what numbers that were matched.
There is a part number and a calibration number.
All part numbers are identical hardware wise.
The calibration code indicates the software version.
Part number and code needs to match.
I wouldn't put is past an online vendor to not get the software correct or to forget to install it.

More questions:
Why was ECM replaced?
Does the engine crank at all?
Have you checked the presence of the big three (fuel, air, fire) to see which is not available?
What was the calibration number?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:49 AM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I had good luck with an ECU from https://www.fs1inc.com/
I gave them my VIN number and they sent me an ECU programmed for my truck including all the recommended factory updates. My truck is a 2001 so I needed to reprogram PATS and sync the ECU with the rest of the modules.

I don't think 97 had PATS so you may not need to worry about that. But you might need to sync the modules. Free forscan software can do both the sync and PATS programming.

The following users liked this post:
Jbrew (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM

Received 6,579 Likes on 4,692 Posts

FJG is correct. No PATS in 97 - so it should not necessitate a programming to run. What was the reason for replacing it? What was in it before, and what did you purchase? Not enough info to help you much.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
FJG is correct. No PATS in 97 - so it should not necessitate a programming to run. What was the reason for replacing it? What was in it before, and what did you purchase? Not enough info to help you much.
"PATS" or now what's called Securilock started in 99 for the F150. There were OEM anti-theft and alarms available though.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:54 PM

Received 6,579 Likes on 4,692 Posts

Originally Posted by River1
"PATS" or now what's called Securilock started in 99 for the F150. There were OEM anti-theft and alarms available though.
Not ran through the PCM though
The following users liked this post:
River1 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by white89gt
Not ran through the PCM though
That I didn't know. I know they could disable the truck though. I've have come across differences between one that alarmed with the horn and one that had a siren and they effected the truck differently.

EDIT: Another oddity is with the early 99 4.2's like my Sept. 98 built truck. It used the type B Pats from the 6 cylinder Contours which had Pats before 99. There's is nothing in the manuals about this though. I found out through my VCM. It uses a stand alone module unlike the typical HEC Pats on the rest of the 99's.

Last edited by River1; 08-06-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 5,670 Likes on 4,727 Posts

No ECU,ECM or anything like that with these trucks....for the modulars anyway. They are all part of just one PCM...package deal. Flagship 1 had my replacement after I cooked my first one in the old 98.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimatenoobie
You don't indicate what numbers that were matched.
There is a part number and a calibration number.
All part numbers are identical hardware wise.
The calibration code indicates the software version.
Part number and code needs to match.
I wouldn't put is past an online vendor to not get the software correct or to forget to install it.

More questions:
Why was ECM replaced?
Does the engine crank at all?
Have you checked the presence of the big three (fuel, air, fire) to see which is not available?
What was the calibration number?
Okay from the beginning. I was driving and stopped, turned the truck off and it never started again. It turns over but won't start. We replaced the plugs, wires, coil, crank shaft sensor, cam shaft sensor, MAF, fuel filter and finally the ECM. I matched the OEM number and another number on the old ECM. Which on RockAuto it says plug and play, no programming required. I followed the directions when ordering and double checked to make sure I got it right. I can't remember what the numbers were. They are bringing the truck from the mechanics as we speak. I can get the numbers off of the ECM afterwhile.. Yes the engine cranks but won't start. This super mechanic (NOT) said it isn't getting fire. He said it needs to be programmed, but I say he is full of crap, because it shouldn't have to be programmed. I contacted Rock Auto and they said they do not have a mechanic on site but to refer to there help page.. Anyway thats all I have at the present time. I ordered a CARDONE part # 786829(78-6829) Engine Control Module for a 1997 Ford F-150 4.2L V6 truck. One more thing, when we hooked up the scan tool, it never brought up any codes.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:36 PM

It won't have any codes if its never run. Can you run the self test with your scanner?

Quick Reply: ECM Module?