Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission Cooler. Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea GT looks good, and @Jbrew, i have a 2002 4r70w, no drain plug . should have bought the pan with one for 25$ when I had mine off. just recently dropped the pan and swapped fluid and filter. But you would have to get all the old fluid out to run ams correct? being that the amsoil is full syn? or could you drop your pan and refill with ams? may be a stupid question lol
Old 04-12-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 6,745 Likes on 4,819 Posts

Dropping the pan will only get about half of the fluid. The torque converter holds 6 quarts. It's pretty much impossible to get ALL of the old stuff out. Mixing a bit won't hurt - but you definitely want to get as much out as you can. You can actually undo the two lines going into the radiator and have the in sucking fluid out of a bucket, and have the other as a drain. It is a pretty effective method.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:22 PM

Ohhhh... I was going to mention, my Buddy has this stuff he uses to clean coolers. If you are planning on still using the stock cooler(s) after the change, I can get that info for you. But it's some pretty good stuff.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by white89gt
Dropping the pan will only get about half of the fluid. The torque converter holds 6 quarts. It's pretty much impossible to get ALL of the old stuff out. Mixing a bit won't hurt - but you definitely want to get as much out as you can. You can actually undo the two lines going into the radiator and have the in sucking fluid out of a bucket, and have the other as a drain. It is a pretty effective method.
hmmm never thought of that. will get messy as hell. dont know how much pressure is in those lines so dont know haw slow/fast it will come out. but nevertheless its a do-it-yourself flush.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:25 PM

I don't if anyone is interested in what the cooler in the radiator looks, but I popped the tank off my old radiator to have a look.

Thar she blows...

Old 04-12-2016, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by white89gt
Ohhhh... I was going to mention, my Buddy has this stuff he uses to clean coolers. If you are planning on still using the stock cooler(s) after the change, I can get that info for you. But it's some pretty good stuff.
And you mean a fluid addative? or like take it off and then run just the cleaner through?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 5,827 Likes on 4,855 Posts

Some drill and tap the converter to do a full dump, if you don't have a 6mm/10mm hex already in it.

I dumped then added MerCV. Ran it until I was happy with shift kit adjustments, then flushed/dumped, let the pump do some it. Topped it back off with Amsoil. I can't recall the exact process, long time ago. I'm sure I left something out. But I did find what I needed online to get away from this successfully lol.

Some also take the vehicle in for a fluid transfer. They do this procedure at the dealership. I'm not sure if you can choose your own fluid, but IMO, it's worth checking out. It may be the way to go with your set up.

Last edited by Jbrew; 04-12-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:31 PM

Yeah, I was just thinking about that Jbrew. I wonder if we could find someone that would do a fluid transfer with our own fluid? I wish my Buddy had one of those transfer machines.

I know Jippy Lube has one here, but I despise going there.

What I explained is what this cat here did.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Some drill and tap the converter to do a full dump, if you don't have a 6mm/10mm hex already in it.

I dumped then added MerCV. Ran it until I was happy with shift kit adjustments, then flushed/dumped, let the pump do some it. Topped it back off with Amsoil. I can't recall the exact process, long time ago. I'm sure I left something out. But I did find what I needed online to get away from this successfully lol.

Some also take the vehicle in for a fluid transfer. They do this procedure at the dealership. I'm not sure if you can choose your own fluid, but IMO, it's worth checking out. It may be the way to go with your set up.
Yea, only problem with transmission flush machines is they are kinda fluid sensitive. what I mean by that is there will be remnants of whatever fluid was just in it. But I think thatd be okay. those machines fill with 10-13 quarts of fluid for a complete flush so id have to have it all ready to go. But didnt realize you had such success with ams oil. i used the severe gear and 2 bottles of ford friction modifier and my differential no longer shudders, after flushing it once before. shouldve taken the diff cover off the first time and sprayed her down with brak kleen the first time haha. lesson learned.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:55 PM

Well... I think a transfer machine does not amplify the pressure, which is the main claim against flush machines. Yeah, I will never do a flush on this F150 trans until it gets rebuilt down the road. It shifts freaking perfect. Like Jbrew, I attribute that to the synthetic fluid.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler. Pics?