Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Audio System Upgrade/Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DaytonLax14
I'd get a group 65 for under the hood if I were you. And definitely go ported. You can get batteries for a whole lot less than XS as well. I'm running a deka group 65 under the hood and it was a fraction of the cost. Sam's Club sells Duracell AGM batteries at a killer price. Just my two cents
Wow that is a lot cheaper okay. Then maybe I will do a dual setup. 1 only for starting and the other for accessories that I add.
Also the bolt that is holding down my battery is seized in place. I have soaked it in WD40 for a day now and still can't get it loose any idea? I have no idea how long the battery that I have in there now has been there. And it has been through and alt dying on it so I bet it is getting tired. Right before I had alt replaced I drove it to the shop at night and I think it was running only on battery the lights where super dim.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I use pb blaster for rusty bolts
Old 05-13-2016, 03:37 PM

I use pb blaster for rusty bolts
Okay, when I go to work I will grab some and soak it. Don't have any at home.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:54 PM

I'd get a group 65 for under the hood if I were you. And definitely go ported. You can get batteries for a whole lot less than XS as well. I'm running a deka group 65 under the hood and it was a fraction of the cost. Sam's Club sells Duracell AGM batteries at a killer price. Just my two cents
What size battery do you recommend? I don't really know what size is best for our trucks.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rydog106
What size battery do you recommend? I don't really know what size is best for our trucks.
Group 65. Fits the battery tray perfectly
Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Those big fancy batteries are a gimmick unless youre going for extreme SPL competitions. A good quality battery from Autozone or wherever will make 600+ amps, way more than youll need. Your alternator will be powering the system anyway. Save your money and get a Duralast or Interstate or other quality brand. Avoid Optimas as well.

As for ported or sealed, it depends on what youre after really. Ported is better for output but it can be misleading because it only has more output at a specific frequency. Below that it rolls off and it can be quite steep sometime. Plus, ported boxes need to be larger than a sealed box for the same sub. Sealed boxes are also more forgiving of design and build flaws as well. Im a big fan of sealed boxes. Plenty loud enough, smaller box, flatter response and more musical.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by _MacLeod_
Those big fancy batteries are a gimmick unless youre going for extreme SPL competitions. A good quality battery from Autozone or wherever will make 600+ amps, way more than youll need. Your alternator will be powering the system anyway. Save your money and get a Duralast or Interstate or other quality brand. Avoid Optimas as well.

As for ported or sealed, it depends on what youre after really. Ported is better for output but it can be misleading because it only has more output at a specific frequency. Below that it rolls off and it can be quite steep sometime. Plus, ported boxes need to be larger than a sealed box for the same sub. Sealed boxes are also more forgiving of design and build flaws as well. Im a big fan of sealed boxes. Plenty loud enough, smaller box, flatter response and more musical.
Yeah I was leaning a little more towards the sealed because if the little amount of space I have. (Did a seat lift to the back seat. Have a thread on it.) Have about 6-6.5 for box and 1.5-2 for subs to move. Also what battery would you recommend.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:09 PM

Yeah I was leaning a little more towards the sealed because if the little amount of space I have. (Did a seat lift to the back seat. Have a thread on it.) Have about 6-6.5 for box and 1.5-2 for subs to move. Also what battery would you recommend.
Any group 65 AGM battery.

Have you thought about doing 2 8s ported? Those little SA-8s get dowwwwnnnn
Old 05-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Any quality Group 65. Duralast are very good as are Interstate, Diehard even Walmart's Ever Start are really good. I competed for 3 years with the stock 400 amp battery that came on my old Accord and I was running close to 2000 watts. Never had a problem and judging and tuning is done with the engine off so that battery powered my system singlehandedly for 3 years. It did die prematurely but still lasted 3 years.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 6,745 Likes on 4,819 Posts

I've got a Motorcraft MAX battery in my truck and my Mustang. Believe it or not, the dealer had the best deal for price and warranty when I bought them.

I've also got this Interstate's in my Expedition. I got it from Costco under a free replacement warranty.

I would recommend either of these batteries.

Quick Reply: Audio System Upgrade/Install