General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes twisted beds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What causes twisted beds?

Over the years I have seen quite a few trucks where one side of the rear of the bed appears lower then the other. Again today, I was driving behind a 2014 F-150 and the right corner was lower then the left. What causes this?
Old 12-28-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 97 F150 that got hit in the left rear, behind the rear wheel. The entire side of the bed was replaced along with the bumper. When I picked it up from the body shop, the bumper was lower on the left side by a couple inches. I took it back and they "adjusted" it. I don't know what they did, but the bumper was level when they were finished.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I know what causes some of them.

Broke a leaf spring few years ago. It was the rear-right leaf on my old vehicle. Got two new ones, but had very little time to work on the truck as this happened in the middle of hunting season. Generally, when you break a leaf spring (or any vehicle spring), you are supposed to replace the opposite one too (either both front springs or both rear springs).

As I had very little time, I replaced only the broken leaf spring, and the vehicle looked exactly as you described. It wasn't until few months later that I finally had some time to replace the other spring, but in the meantime a guy offered me a good price for the truck, and he could not care less about the slanted back of the vehicle. I suppose he wanted to lift it, so he did not care.

This is one of the proven causes of truck bed slanting. Another one can be a difference in the air helper bags pressure (if equipped). If one of these was not the cause of the problem, I'd steer clear of that vehicle since the repair may not be cheap.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
Talking I couldn't resist

Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 PM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack-Daniel
??same thing right?