Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORScan - software to enable/disable features in your truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Livnitup
You can activate a trailer brake controller with FORScan easily. The adapters listed in the tutorial are fine to get the job done; the tutorial is continually updated.
Thanks! Any benefit to going BT vs USB? I have an android phone. Would I be able to use other apps or something to see the BT one?
Old 12-25-2017, 08:51 PM
It's my first day

Received 1,682 Likes on 887 Posts

Default Bought a new toy

For the sake of testing something I don't think anyone here is using I ordered up the most real looking ELS27 I could find. Figured I'd share for future reference.

These are the best hardware notes I've been able to find (and google translate):

There are three official versions of the ELS27 hardware. The second version came out on different printed circuit boards, so there are several versions called revisions.

Version v1.0

For the version v1.0, 60 units were created.
54 were sealed, and the fate of another 6 is unknown. The boards contained a couple of bugs that were fixed manually. The adapters themselves assembled in different colors, mostly black.

Version v2.0

Revision rev1.2 exists only in the form of prototypes (10 units were created).

From v1.0 differs:
- New printed circuit boards with wiring made from scratch
- Design: all adapters in transparent white housings, as in the picture
- The presence of the switching relay HS_CAN on pins 1 and 8, which corresponds to MS_CAN for Ford
- The presence of the a button to reset_NVM
- The presence of transitional connectors for the commercialized edition.

Revision rev1.5 exists also in the form of prototypes (10 pieces). From v1.2 differs:
- Lack of hanging bridges
- Availability of additional resistors for stability
- Connection "board" - "OBD shoe" will be performed using a loop, rather than separate wiring
- More optimal PCB size

Revision rev1.6 again in the form of prototypes (10pcs). From v1.5 differs:
- Presence of an impulse converter, which means a higher efficiency and lower heating
- The thickness of the board is increased (all further versions will also be)

Revision rev1.5b is a batch of 50 units. The final version with a linear stabilizer

Revision rev1.7 - a batch of 200 units. The final version with a pulse stabilizer.

Revision rev1.72 - a batch of 500 units. For the end user is no different from rev1.7. The boards now go in panels of 10 units.

Revision Rev2.0 - A redrawn version from scratch. From rev1.72 differs:
- Build mainly on the Prolific PL-2303HXD
- Support for FTDI FT232RQ
- Implemented the ability to control the relay with the help of STN1170
- The power switch turns off when connected to USB
- The relay switches HS_CAN.
- K_Line (Pin7) is also connected to Pin12 in the OBD. For FIAT
- Prolific version works at speeds of 1M, 2M and 5M. And of course with the lower

Version v3.0

Built on the new STN2120 process, which has twice as much memory as STN1170. Distinctive features of the adapter:
- Build mainly on Prolific PL-2303HXD (like rev2.0)
- Support for FTDI FT232RQ (like rev2.0)
- The adapter is always powered by the OBD, but can also from USB when the board is unavailable
- Has all the useful features of previous revisions
- There is a built-in K-line module on the L9637D with ALDL support (5 volts K-line)
- Prolific version works at speeds of 1M, 2M, 4M and 8M. And of course with the lower.

Revision v3.01
The same version v3.0, only without the RST_NVM button.

Last edited by Airborne_Ape; 12-25-2017 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pohlmeyr (12-26-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 08:54 PM
The FORScan Guy

Received 4,918 Likes on 1,995 Posts

Originally Posted by l3rian
Thanks! Any benefit to going BT vs USB? I have an android phone. Would I be able to use other apps or something to see the BT one?
If it were me, I'd probably go USB right now since a newer version of FORScan that's coming out will have firmware flashing capabilities and Bluetooth won't be suitable for that. A standard USB adapter may/may not be either but that remains to be seen and it stands a much better chance than Bluetooth.
l3rian (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 2,304 Likes on 1,759 Posts

If it were me, I'd probably go USB right now since a newer version of FORScan that's coming out will have firmware flashing capabilities and Bluetooth won't be suitable for that. A standard USB adapter may/may not be either but that remains to be seen and it stands a much better chance than Bluetooth.
Well I sure hope they dont do something like that, after all of this time of helping them that they make us buy new devices!!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:57 PM
The FORScan Guy

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Well I sure hope they dont do something like that, after all of this time of helping them that they make us buy new devices!!
Well you wouldn't forced to buy a new device; your existing adapter would work fine for everything we've already been doing with value changes in the modules. Firmware flashing requires an adapter with a faster, steadier throughput than what a Bluetooth adapter can guarantee but if you don't have any intentions on using this new feature, you wouldn't need to buy a different adapter. It's not a case of the FORScan developers seeking to make us buy a different adapter but more about adding a new feature and it just being a reality that a Bluetooth adapter isn't sufficient for this new feature.
digitaltrucker (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 2,304 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Well you wouldn't forced to buy a new device; your existing adapter would work fine for everything we've already been doing with value changes in the modules. Firmware flashing requires an adapter with a faster, steadier throughput than what a Bluetooth adapter can guarantee but if you don't have any intentions on using this new feature, you wouldn't need to buy a different adapter. It's not a case of the FORScan developers seeking to make us buy a different adapter but more about adding a new feature and it just being a reality that a Bluetooth adapter isn't sufficient for this new feature.
Thanks, guess I first need to see the cost of their final product. Having the USB device, coupled with a 13, I may have all I need.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Merry Christmas, boys! Lol, anyone get any Tasca/Fordparts.com/Autoanything gift certificates?
Hope you had a Merry Christmas! First off I want to thank you for all that you have done for me and everyone with this forum and the FORscan thread! To answer your question, yes....Santa brought me all of the components to add park assist to my '15 Lariat. Looking forward to the install, but still a little hesitant about drilling a large hole in the side of my fenders.
Wishing a safe and Happy New Year to you and everyone on the forum!
Livnitup (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo calibration with FORScan

Hey all. I’ve got a 2017 and have successfully used FORScan for many wanted enhancements. An absolute must!

I may have missed this - but, can you calibrate your speedometer with FORScan by entering different tire sizes? I didn’t think so but recently came across a post elsewhere than indicated it was possible.

For those interested - my truck came with 265/60r18s and I just purchased 275/55r20s. I understand it is a stock size (though on 9” rims not 8.5”), and want to account for that change. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:42 PM
The FORScan Guy

Originally Posted by AOAM
Hey all. I’ve got a 2017 and have successfully used FORScan for many wanted enhancements. An absolute must!

I may have missed this - but, can you calibrate your speedometer with FORScan by entering different tire sizes? I didn’t think so but recently came across a post elsewhere than indicated it was possible.

For those interested - my truck came with 265/60r18s and I just purchased 275/55r20s. I understand it is a stock size (though on 9” rims not 8.5”), and want to account for that change. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
It is possible. Look at the BCM spreadsheet here at 726-12-01 and use the link there for the correct values to use for your tire size: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...730/edit#gid=0

After making the change you will probably get a wrench icon on your instrument cluster. If so, go back to the programming screen in FORScan and run the PCM Module Initialization/relearn vehicle data (pic below). If you don't see the PCM relearn listed in the programming screen you need to install the newest version of FORScan from their website. If you also see a procedure listed for your truck that says TCM Module Initialization/relearn vehicle data in the programming screen then run that afterwards. If you don't see it listed you don't need to run it.

** Note: run a GPS speedometer app on your phone to see if the tire size value you used is giving you an accurate reading. If not, you can go back and tweak the tire size value slightly to improve the calibration.

Last edited by Livnitup; 12-26-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Apples (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 12:53 PM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,588 Likes on 975 Posts

** Note: run a GPS speedometer app on your phone to see if the tire size value you used is giving you an accurate reading. If not, you can go back and tweak the tire size value slightly to improve the calibration.

In addition to this fine advice, a shortcut to accurate speedometer readings is to measure your drive tires' loaded radius. Double that figure to get your tire's dynamic diameter. The difference in my case between my tire's advertised diameter and it's dynamic diameter is +/- 1.5"!
Livnitup (12-26-2017)

Quick Reply: FORScan - software to enable/disable features in your truck